It is indescribable sorrow after losing your father and, that means you have lost the protector, mentor, and superhero of your life. There are incredible memories of your father in your heart that keep you trigger to miss him. Your dad was the one who brings light in your dark days and, it is entirely ok to miss your dad and to reminisce the time which you spent with him. When your heart is extremely missing your dad, and heart says that I miss my dad, then you need some effectual ways to describe your emotions.
Missing my dad quotes help you in your healing process, also in expressing the love and respect for him. It is impossible to fill that space of your father, but you should not be bury in a cloud of feelings and regret how things would have been different if your dad were alive.
The amount of grief you are facing is incomparable because it is extreme emotion to lose the father, and missing him inclines you in emptiness and sorrow. A simple sentence like I miss you dad is not enough to heal you from such emptiness, even not let you come out from grief.
The greatest amount of grief required an effective way to deal with it. There are I miss you daddy quotes, which let you express your feelings for your dad and alleviate your grief.
Poems That Say ‘I Miss My Dad’
1. “Yesterday” by W.S. Merwin
Merwin muses over the regrets he has about his father. As a young man, he was very busy with his own life. When he visited his father for the last time, though, things changed. Rather than rushing to leave his dad, he doesn’t want the visit to end. Sometimes, impending death provides similar moments of crystal clarity.
2. “Only A Dad” by Edgar Guest
Sometimes ordinary dads are the greatest superheroes. Guest’s dad was nothing special. He wasn’t rich or famous, and received no accolades for his worth. But he rejoiced in his children, and that was enough. Guest’s dad was happy that his kids wanted to see him, and that fostered a firm relationship.
3. “Where the Sky Meets the Earth” by W. Todd Kaneko
This is a great poem for someone in love with nature. This is an odd poem that talks about how the earth isn’t a fit place to bury someone. The sky is where a human belongs, free with birds. At the end of the poem, Kaneko concedes that the sky and the earth are sometimes the same.
4. “When Great Trees Fall” by Maya Angelou
Knowing some souls alters us forever. When they die, the very air seems altered. Breathing and seeing become harder. And you start to remember things more clearly. Everything you never got to do with them, the kind words they said to you…it all suddenly matters much more.
5. “Letter to My Father” by Martin Espada
This is a deep, nostalgic memory of boyhood days. It’s a recollection of memories when Espada’s father seemed like a god to him.
6. “Away” by James Whitcomb Riley
Riley’s approach makes an impossible concept easier to understand. He refuses to say that his friend is dead. This may come across as denial, but it isn’t. Riley only takes a different perspective, and says that his friend is ‘away.’ That means they’ll reunite eventually, even though Riley doesn’t know where.
7. “Men at My Father’s Funeral” by William Matthews
Sometimes, silence is more powerful than words. This poem is from the perspective of a son who delivered a eulogy for his father. Williams delivered it, even though he had a rocky relationship with his dad. He can’t help comparing the difference between them, though. He is the one speaking, and his father is forever silenced.
8. “Father of My Country” by Diane Wakoski
If your father was distant, it may be hard to emotionally process your feelings. Wakoski admits that she rarely talked about her father. He was in the military, and she barely knew him. As an absent figure in her life, putting words to her relationship is a struggle.
9. “Those Winter Sundays” by Robert Hayden
Looking back to memories sometimes provides clarity about your dad. Hayden’s poem centers around one repetitious act of service from his dad. Every day, his dad would get up in the cold. This was before central heating! His dad would be the one to shiver through the morning and light the fire. By the time everyone else got up, the house was warm again.
10. “This Can’t Be” by Bruce Smith
Some fathers leave a legacy in the physical home they created. Smith talks about how the pipes and floorboards, even, are a testament to his dad.
Songs That Say ‘I Miss My Dad’
Many singers talk about their relationships under the disguise of lyrics. Songs about missing someone can be cathartic for you.
11. “Dad’s Old Number” by Cole Swindell
Have you ever dialed your dad’s number, even though you know he won’t pick up? Swindell has made a habit of dialing his dad’s number. When something breaks down, or he wants to celebrate, he automatically tries to tell his dad.
12. “Hurt” by Christine Aguilera
Aguilera had a complicated relationship with her dad, and sings about the very painful hurt and loss she experienced as a result. She admits that she blamed her dad for things that weren’t his fault. On the other hand, though, Aguilera puts the blame where it belongs. If you had a rocky relationship with your dad, this might be the perfect song.
13. “Dance With My Father” by Luther Vandross
Some memories are so tender and loving, they stay in your heart forever. The singer’s father died when Vandross was seven. Even so, he remembers a warm, loving home. The memory of his father dancing with Vandross and his mom is a precious one.
14. “Bye Bye” by Mariah Carey
Carey insists that she’ll never say goodbye. This is because she carries the people she loves in her heart. As a child, she admits to misunderstanding her father. As an adult, this brought issues.
They separated emotionally and physically. Distance came up between them. But even so, Carey knows that her dad loved her very much. This might be a good funeral song for dad.
15. “My Father’s Eyes” by Eric Clapton
Born into a complicated family situation, Clapton voices his emotions in this tune. For a long time, he believed that his grandmother was his mom. He believed he had a sister, too—who was actually his mom. Coming to terms with this, and his fatherlessness, was a major blow.
16. “The Living Years” by Mike and the Mechanics
It’s painful to know that you should have told your father something before he died. The singer wishes that he could have found the courage to voice his feelings. But all his emotions are trapped on scraps of paper and imperfect conversations.
17. “Leader of the Band” by Dan Fogelberg
Support is sometimes the best gift a dad can give. His father chased his dreams, and taught his son to do the same thing.
18. “Independence Day” by Bruce Springsteen
Springsteen also had a difficult relationship with his dad. As he got older, he learned it was because they were too similar. It’s a difficult thing to admit. After a childhood at war, it would be easy to label his dad as the enemy. As he grew older, though, Springsteen gained perspective.
19. “Father and Son” by Cat Stevens
This song is uniquely told from both the father and son’s perspective. It’s a meandering ballad that’s meant to inspire forethought and gratitude. It’s easy to jump the gun, especially when you’re young. As a father figure, Stevens cautions that his son does otherwise. This is a good choice for your first father’s day without dad.
20. “When The Tigers Broke Free” by Pink Floyd
This is a song about someone’s father dying in war. The only announcement they got was a notice in the mail.
Messages or Social Media Posts That Say ‘I Miss My Dad’
Social media posts like these can share how you’re feeling or showcase fond memories.
21. I still remember the time my dad and I went hiking. It was only a few years ago, but one of the items on his bucket list was climbing Mount Rainier. We made it all the way! So happy to have those great memories with him. I miss hiking with you, Dad.
22. My dad was the one who taught me to drive. I learned in his car: a 1973 Dodge Challenger with a manual transmission. It was the coolest car I’d ever seen. I miss spending those afternoons with him in empty parking lots.
23. My dad was one of the best writers I ever read. Even though I’m biased, I loved seeing him work through a project. From ideas to seeing his face when his books arrived in boxes, it’s still one of my favorite memories. I miss getting the chance for a sneak peek at his newest novels.
24. I went hiking on my dad’s favorite trails today. I miss stopping to take pictures together, or look up a new bird that neither of us recognized.
25. I spent the day making fudge for Christmas stockings, just like Dad used to. I miss cooking with him!
26. My dad started a printing business in the 1970s. He had nothing going for him, but he still built it from scratch! Eventually, he handed it over to me. I miss the opportunity to ask him questions whenever something’s going wrong.
27. My dad was one of the most important people in my life. He taught me how to read, how to ride a bike, and how to study for the SATs. I miss him dearly.
28. My dad was always the person I would ask for advice. I miss those long conversations with him.
29. My dad is the reason that I joined sports. I miss him so much, and wish he could see me playing on a college team now.
30. I miss the fun of picking out a surprise present for my dad. Merry Christmas in heaven, Dad!
Take Your Time
Grief is a sticky, complicated emotion. Taking the time to feel each emotion, even if it’s unpleasant, can help you in the long run. It also makes room to treasure all the great memories you made with your dad.
If you’re looking for more ways to commemorate your father, check out our guide on what to do on your father’s death anniversary, or “rest in peace” quotes.
Missing Dad Quotes
1. Dad, I keep thinking about, you even though it pains. I’d give anything to relive those memories again. I miss you.
2. I never knew that being fatherless would make me feel so aimless, worthless, powerless, heartless, and helpless. I miss you, dad.
3. It hurts to think that you are not here anymore. Although I can’t help but smile with tears in my eyes to think of how we cherished each and every moment of our lives together when you were alive. I miss you, dad.
4. I still get a lot of hugs but none of them are as warm as yours. I miss you, dad.
5. Dad, wherever you are I just want you to know that no matter how much we’ve fought and argued, you were right, is what my heart always knew. I miss you.
6. Right from the time when you held me in your arms to the day when you saw me off for my first day in school, I am holding today on the beautiful memories that have made me the person I am today. I miss you, dad.
7. Every time I place flowers on your grave, I realize how fragrant you made my life. I miss you, dad.
8. Just one last chance, I wish I could get to hug you. Then I would hold you tight and never let go. I miss you, dad.
9. Dad, you taught me to be strong but sorry I’m letting you down. I can never be strong enough to accept that you are no longer here. I miss you.
10. Death thinks it has taken you away from me. But it doesn’t know that it has actually brought us closer than ever. I miss you, dad.
11. Dad, how ironic is it that I wasted all these years not listening to you. But now that you’re not here, I’m living life exactly how you told me to.
12. Every Father’s Day is a painful reminder of your absence in my life. Dad, I wish I could just turn back time and live out every single day of my childhood as if it were a grand Father’s Day celebration. I miss you.
13. We may have been living miles apart but somehow it always felt that you were always there. Maybe because ever since you held my tiny fingers, you showered me with nothing but love and care. Dad, I miss you.
14. Dad, as much as a mourning, your death is a celebration because you made my life nothing short of one.
15. I miss you, dad, now there is no one to help me when I’m fighting with myself.
16. Your death will always remain a blurry memory. But your life will always be a vivid one, the epitome of greatness and sacrifice. I miss you, dad.
17. On the day I lost you, I lost a father, a friend, and an idol who I looked up to. I miss you, dad.
18. It didn’t matter whether we met often or not, what mattered is that your advice helped me connect my life’s dots. It didn’t matter whether we spoke every day or not, what mattered was that you loved me a lot. Dad, I miss you.
19. Death may have taken you away from me, but my life’s hero you’ll forever be. Miss you dad.
20. Just like how I was the apple of your eye, you were the balm to my soul. I miss you, dad.
21. Dad, even though you are not in front of my eyes right now, your picture in my heart will remain beautifully pristine forever. I miss you.
22. Death took away not just my dad, but also someone who was my unsung hero. I miss you.
23. How do you expect me to cope up with the grief of your death, when you were the only person who understood me for what I was and not for what I could be? I miss you, dad.
24. Dad, I won’t immortalize you in the stars, because they fade away. I won’t remember you with a poem, for it will be forgotten one day. I will just keep you safe in my heart so that you are with me in every way. I miss you.
25. Whether it is the empty spot in a chair next to mum’s or the eerily silent garage on a Sunday morning, you are missed in every way, dad. I love you.
26. When I think of you, tears roll down my cheeks unbidden, just the way it rains in London. I miss you.
27. Dad, as a child, I had a million ways to annoy you. As a teenager, I had a million reasons to defy you. As an adult, I had a million opportunities to make you proud. I did all that but I missed out on the most important – a million chances to say I love you while you were alive. I miss you.
28. Talking to your gravestone and hugging your photographs – these are just some of the things I do to convince myself that you are still here. I miss you, dad.
29. Dad, how heartbroken I am and how much I miss you. I can’t explain in words but my tears do.
30. People say that whatever happens, happens for the best. But the painful memories of your death, I’ll never be able to put to rest. I miss you, dad.
31. How can the Heavens be beautiful when they have been nasty enough to take away my favorite person from me? I miss you, dad.
32. Dad, I haven’t been with you enough to know everything about you, but I have been with you enough to love you and miss you dearly.
33. Dad, death doesn’t change a thing because you’ve always been the angel in my life. I miss you.
34. I talk about him, not because I’m constantly living in pain. I’m not anymore, but in my world, this is my normal, and I’d rather live honestly and out loud. Joy, love, happiness, and gratefulness are my every day, but so are death, loss, heartache, and grief. – Scribbles and Crumbs
35. If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together, keep me in your heart. I’ll stay there forever. – Winnie the Pooh
36. Say not in grief: ‘He is no more,’ but live in thankfulness that he was. – Hebrew Proverb
37. Although our lives’ journeys have bid us be a part, I am with you, you are with me, always in our hearts. – Carolyn Ferreira
38. You have been there for me, no matter what bad choices I might have made, you lovingly repaired my broken spirit, helped me plot a new course, and set me free to fly on my own once again. There is no greater love than that. You will always be special to me, and no matter where life takes me, I’ll remember you with love. – Marilyn K. Deacon
39. You will always be in my heart because in there you’re still alive. – Jamie Cirello
40. Dad, your memories have become my heartbeats which means I am thinking of you all the time.
41. Dad, I miss our talks.
42. Just one last chance, I wish I could get to hug you. Then I would hold you tight and never let go. I miss you, dad.
43. I miss you, dad, not a day goes by that I’m not missing you.
44. Miss you, Daddy, I know we didn’t always get along, but I always loved you.
45. We love you and miss you. Rest in Peace Daddy.
46. Dad, your guiding hand on my shoulder will remain with me forever.
47. I think of you, I miss you, I need you and I love you.
48. When you left, you destroyed my fairytale. I stopped feeling perfect.
49. No matter how old she may be sometimes a girl just needs her dad.
50. I miss my dad a lot. I miss his advice and I miss his voice and I miss his hugs.
51. Happiness is the feeling that your dad is always there to guide you, even if he is in heaven.
52. Happy birthday, dad, how much I wish I could hear your voice again.
53. I miss you every second of every minute of every hour of every day.
54. Decorating the tree without you felt so empty. I feel sad. I wish you were here. I miss you so much, Dad.
55. To my father, “separated by death, together with my love.” Miss you.
56. As I sit here and whisper, “I miss you,” I believe somehow you can still hear me.
57. I wish heaven had a phone so I could hear your voice one last time.
58. Thank you for being a great dad to us. Your memories will always live in the core of the heart. I miss you.
59. My dad is not here, but he is watching in heaven.
60. There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in your heart.
61. Dad, wherever you are, you are gone but you will never be forgotten.
62. It never gets easy daddy, it just gets different each day as we try to adjust to your leaving us so soon. We miss you so much.
63. You will forever remain alive in our hearts and memories daddy, and though we are learning to live without you, we still miss you so much.
64. No matter how many years go by, the pain of your death never diminishes. Dad, I miss you so much.
65. Daddy, I am so sorry for taking you for granted when you were still alive. Now that you are gone forever, I regret all the wasted opportunities and I wish you were still here so I could tell you how much I love you. I miss you so much.
66. You were my anchor and when you died dad, I felt so lost. Even today, many years later I still miss you so much.
67. Whenever your birthday or other holidays come around, I feel your absence so acutely. Life has never been the same since you left daddy and we miss you so much.
68. The love you had for all of us is something we deeply miss as much as we miss your presence in our lives.
69. I wish I could turn back the clock to when you were still here daddy, I would appreciate and enjoy every moment with you.
70. If only you were here. Dad, I’ve been thinking about you. Our times together, your wisdom, your guidance, your love, everything. I didn’t know that life would be this empty without you. I miss you.
71. If I was given one wish to make and would be assured that it would come true, I would wish that you would come back to us, daddy. Daddy, we miss you so much.
72. Father’s Day is so special to me daddy, even though you will never again celebrate it with me. I will forever celebrate you as one of the greatest dads in the world.
73. Happy Father’s Day daddy and I want you to know that I miss you so much and think about you always.
74. If death could be beseeches, I would have beseeches death not to take you away from us. Life must go on daddy but I will never forget you. I love you and miss you.
75. Daddy, even though you are gone, your memories will forever be precious, and the blessing is that you are still alive in us. We miss you so much and want to tell you that we love you so much.
76. The saddest day of my life was when you passed away, daddy. Who can ever love us as you did? Who can ever take your place? We miss you so much.
77. If I had one more chance to have you here with me today daddy, I would do things differently. Every day I would tell you how much you mean to me. I miss you so much.
78. This void that your death left is like a gaping wound and no amount of balm can completely heal it. I miss you so much, daddy.
79. No one knows the day they will die but it comes eventually and the ones left behind are left in so much pain. Daddy, this pain is only made easier by knowing that your suffering is over at last. But we still miss you all the same.
80. Daddy, you are like a warrior that has fought my childhood battles. You brought me joy and you mean more than the world itself to me and now that you’re gone, I can’t stop missing you. I miss your father.
81. You have been my strongest provider, you did not only bring me to the world but you loved me and nurtured me, I owe you a lot, but death couldn’t allow me to pay it all. I miss you so much.
82. You are my King, My first source of happiness, the man who loved me regardless of all my flaws. I love you forever, My everlasting love. I miss You.
83. Thank you for forgiving all my childhood flaws, you stood by my side regardless of all my mistakes, you loved me beyond words and you have forgiven all my mistakes with love. I love you and I miss your presence in my life father.
84. Thank you, daddy, for flourishing our home with a lot of happiness, You have been such a great man who is brave enough to look up to. I love You, daddy, even when you are far away, your presence can be felt. I miss you so much.
85. You are my biggest life inspiration, You gave me more reason to live and be successful. Everything I own, they are credited to the great love you have towards me. I love you and Miss You too much.
86. Daddy, the void you left me in my heart can’t be filled by anyone but I will hold on to the lovely memories we had together, Till we meet again. I love you deeply.
87. Your departure in my life has created a vacuum that can’t be filled easily. I miss you so much and time can’t heal the pain of how much I wish to be with you. Till we meet and part no more.
88. Death is an occurrence that can’t be avoided, but your passing away remains a big shock to me, My lovely father. I miss you deeply.
89. Daddy, you are my biggest support when life seems unfair, you are my greatest gift and I couldn’t imagine my life without you in it. I miss your presence so much, father.
89. Daddy, I grew up loving you and your love was the biggest kind of love I have experienced. Thanks for loving me regardless of my flaws. I miss you, dad.
90. You showed me the greatest love when you called me your daughter and you gave me your biggest blessing when you called me a blessed child. I miss you, daddy.
91. Daddy your absence is felt but no one is able to take that special space in my life. To me, you are the world’s best father.
92. Your legacy remains a blessing to the people you left and your warmest hug is what we can never forget. I hope you are in a better place. I miss you father.
93. Each time I remember how nice you were, I can’t just stop thinking how someone as good as you are can leave the world so soon but I get to realize that God takes his beloved ones earlier. I pray you to keep resting beside the almighty. Till we meet again. I miss you.
94. In everything I find myself doing in life, I remember the wonderful moments I spent with you and I am motivated to do better. I miss you, daddy.
95. Before going through my daily activities every day, I create time to stare at your pictures and it gives me hope that I have you as my guardian angel. You are deeply missed, father.
96. While you were alive, you have always proved to me how much you loved and cared for me through so many great things you did for me. Words are not enough to tell you how much I miss you, My father. I love you.
97. Each time you appear in my dreams, I can feel your lovely hands and your soft touches again. I wish you never left us. I miss you each and every time.
98. They say time heals every wound but the loss of someone as lovely as you, time couldn’t heal the pain. I miss you so much and I hope you are in a better place.
99. If tears could bring you back to the world, I know you will be alive now but since we have no power over life occurrence, I will keep praying for you till the day we meet again. I miss you father.
100. Your lovely advice and sweet corrections can’t be forgotten. I still feel your presence around me each time I am about to take every step in my life. You are part of my success story and I hope you remain happy even in death. I miss you father.